Tempy

A day by day and often hourly account of a temp

Monday, January 23, 2012

My Night With My Week With Marilyn

I had the absolute pleasure of seeing "My Week With Marilyn" last night courtesy of the SAG awards freebies. It was actually quite a beautiful movie, if I may be serious for a moment. It also had some parts that really hit home for me as I am in the "business of show" as they say.

The plot is pretty simple, and it is based on a true story. Marilyn Monroe is cast alongside Lawrence Olivier in a romantic comedy in London (yes, I know). Once they start shooting, it becomes painfully obvious that Marilyn Monroe can't act. Or rather, she's ok, but her insecurities and the need to be loved by everyone hinder her ability to do much, let alone show up on time. Plus there's all those pills she's taking.

She is shadowed constantly by an "acting coach" who quite literally walks her through every step of every line, much to the chagrin of the director (who also happens to be Lawrence Olivier). When Marilyn is convinced she's doing a terrible job (she is), her acting coach gets on her knees and tells Marilyn that she is the greatest actress that ever lived. I have actually met actors like this, and the people that "worship" them. I don't even need to tell you why this is a very unhealthy situation. In the end, well, I won't give anything away, but you should see it.

My only beef with the movie was that Michelle Williams was just too damn skinny. Scrawny, actually. I know, I know, it's all been said before but come on - if I was cast in something where I knew it was ok to be 20 lbs over from what I am, I would be on it like white on rice. Literally, I'd be on a mountain of rice. That being said, Michelle Williams was phenomenal (as usual).

2 Comments:

At 2:54 PM, Anonymous Jonah said...

it's laurence. sir laurence.

just to be annoying.

 
At 9:24 PM, Blogger Tempy said...

YOU sir, are INCORRIGIBLE!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blog Directory - Blogged