Tempy

A day by day and often hourly account of a temp

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

RESPECT YOUR NON ELDERS

There's yet another opinion piece in the Times today about kids called, "Children are Just Small People. Deal With It". (Seriously, that's the name of the article.) I know a few "small people" who may find offense to that, but I'll let that go for now. I think what the woman is trying to say is that we should all accept children as part of the collective community so don't complain when they're in your presence. What she sounds like is an asshole parent. Listen, no one hates your children, they just don't like the way you're raising them.

Case in point: I never had a child at the restaurant I worked at who was a problem. The place was family friendly, so children were encouraged. The only times there was trouble was when a child was left unattended. I don't blame the kid for wanting to run around - that's what kids do. But when the parents just ignore their kids' behavior, not only is it annoying, but also dangerous. In fact, I often prefer children to adults. Never am I on the subway when I think, "God, that parent is so pleasant - if only the child would SHUT UP".

On some occasions I'll find myself at an audition with a child and their stage mother/father. Guess who's the annoying one? Go on, take one guess. To be fair, I only met one stage father and he spent most of the time hitting on all the other actresses. Come to think of it, he's got it made. Anyway, all of the kids I meet are so polite and nice, and the second their parents open their mouths it's nothing but loud nagging or bragging OR they're on their phone super loud.

I think the author of this article should just relax. Sure, it sucks when people don't help you with a stroller on the stairs or offer you a seat on the subway, but on the whole, I do see a lot of people helping people out. New York is a surprisingly friendly place, even when toting a child around. I think everyone would be a lot better if they just took this parent's advice.

2 Comments:

At 12:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was working at a family restaurant one night, there were these obnoxious parents ignoring their kids running around the serving area, they were addressed by the manager, who simply said "it is not safe for your kids to be in the serving area, they could get hurt" , needless to say they ignored the managers advice. one of our waiters came out the exit area of the kitchen holding plates and got hit by one of the children, he tried to stop short of tripping on them and a cup of gravy on one of the plates tipped over and fell on the head of the child running by dripping gravy all down the kids' hair and clothes, the kid screamed at the top of his lungs, (only then did the parents take notice), (I had to leave the floor because I was laughing so hard), justice was served that night, but I don't think the parents got the message, they tried blaming the waiter for not watching where they were going, all the manager replied was "told you so" . As the family was leaving they announced loudly they would never be back, it was met with a round of applause from the serving staff.

 
At 12:24 PM, Blogger Tempy said...

Oh my gosh that is AMAZING!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blog Directory - Blogged