Tempy

A day by day and often hourly account of a temp

Thursday, March 24, 2011

How To Succeed In Business While Trying

I've been thinking a lot about a friend of mine lately. I won't be naming or linking anything here that has anything to do with her because she's opening a new business, just in case a Google search will bring her up in correlation to my imaginings about Sarah Palin or videos of cats. But for those of you who know me, you'll know who I am talking about.

I've known this woman for almost 10 years. She's amazing - was always one of the coolest customers I had at my bar, and someone who I would hang out with outside of work. She had a nice, well paying job, and was able to buy her own apartment and on more than one occasion took me to the theater. I'm talking Broadway shows, people. For rizzle.

A few years ago she realized she wasn't happy and decided to completely change her life around. She didn't quite know what she wanted, but she did know what she didn't want. Now, two years later, she has quit the job, gone back to school, graduated, and is opening the most amazing business. I have no doubt that it will be a huge success, and it will all be because of the tireless energy, commitment and love of what she's doing. If that's not inspiring, I don't know what is.

Another friend and I (I can link to that) were talking about her last night because he'll be working with her, and we were discussing how proud we are of her. I am inspired by people all the time - political figures, artists, people in the news. But it's an amazing feeling when you realize that someone you look up to so much is also someone sitting right next to you (she's not actually sitting right next to me - that'd be weird because I'm at my day job). But, you know what I mean.

On more than one occasion she's said to me, "You know what's cool about you? You're an actress who actually acts. You don't just talk about it." I can say the same about her. (Minus the "actress" part, unless she wanted to be an actress, in which case I have no doubt she would be hugely successful because she's super dedicated. You know what I mean.)

1 Comments:

At 1:53 PM, Blogger bklynturtle said...

Thanks Tempy. I couldn't do it without support from you and all of my other wonderful friends!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blog Directory - Blogged