Tempy

A day by day and often hourly account of a temp

Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Debt Free

So you guys, it only took me like, 80,000,000 years but I am now officially out of credit card debt! I was about 12k in the hole as of a few years ago and for the last 5 I've been paying, consolidating, crunching, you name it. But now cc companies are so desperate to get ANYTHING I was able to even talk a few down to about half what I owe. Some are willing to forgo any finance charges just to get the base amount. Woo-hoo! I mean, I'm not rich- I currently have barely anything in savings. But at least I'm not in debt. Can you imagine if it was like it was way back when you had to go to debtors prison? The kicker is 95% of the country would be there.

I have to say, I'm not glad at all that people are losing their homes and are drowning in a system made to keep them down, but I think there is a lesson to be learned - we can't as a country or a people take what we cannot afford. It's the same mindset we've had with our last president, the "bomb first, ask questions later" approach. Well I think we've all learned a valuable lesson; I know I have. And I think unfortunately it will be a long time before I even entertain the idea of having a card not just for emergencies. Because sometimes it still feels like if I don't have that awesome dress, it is an emergency.

OK I did buy a new dress the other day but it was $24.

1 Comments:

At 1:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats! Good to know it can be done. New Year's Resolution #4...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blog Directory - Blogged