Tempy

A day by day and often hourly account of a temp

Monday, October 01, 2012

Breaking Amish

I don't know if I'll ever be the same since discovering the TLC "reality" show Breaking Amish. When I put air quotes around the word "reality", it's not that I don't get that most of these shows are slightly scripted. It's because this one blatantly is. And it's just...

Let's just say after a few hours of the marathon the other day, here's what I learned:

  1. Kate looks just like Elizabeth Moss and acts like old school Peggy Olson. It's FREAKY.
  2. There is a girl with no teeth. No teeth! She has them all pulled when she was 19 because some Amish do that. She wears dentures. I have a hard time looking away.
  3. If you are half Puerto Rican, adopted by Mennonites, leave the Mennonite fold and go to Queens to find your "roots", you will not only get the first job you apply for at a Puerto Rican restaurant, but your new boss with take you out, get you a make-over at a salon and buy you clothes.
  4. The Amish's idea of "English" aka "everyday" clothes consists solely of Ed Hardy attire.
  5. I watched this show for three hours. I still can't get over that.
Programming note - if you are around on Wednesday night and want to watch me give a ten minute educational lecture about why I love romance novels, this is the place for you. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to scrub my eyeballs from watching all that Amish breaking.

4 Comments:

At 1:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

After watching last nights episode, i am convinced Kate is bi-polar.

 
At 1:52 PM, Blogger Tempy said...

There's definitely something going on with her.

 
At 2:32 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Last nights episode is all a bunch of lies. I am related to abe and he is married to Rebecca and they do have a child together. plus Rebecca had her teeth pulled on her own free will her parents did not make her have them pulled. She also has not been Amish for a very long time. And Abe also completed 8th grade his mother has his diploma.I cannot stand by and watch how this is all going down and keep my mouth shut. Also the Amish dentist do not use "RUSTY PLIERS" as Rebecca said they do. plus they do numb a person up. They are very clean and they have codes they have to go by. Also the Amish did not pull her teeth she went to an English dentist.

 
At 3:02 PM, Blogger Tempy said...

Wow - thanks Linda. I had so many unanswered questions and that makes a lot more sense. Question - why did Rebecca have her teeth removed? And where is the child?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blog Directory - Blogged