I don't know if I'll ever be the same since discovering the TLC "reality" show Breaking Amish. When I put air quotes around the word "reality", it's not that I don't get that most of these shows are slightly scripted. It's because this one blatantly is. And it's just...
Let's just say after a few hours of the marathon the other day, here's what I learned:
- Kate looks just like Elizabeth Moss and acts like old school Peggy Olson. It's FREAKY.
- There is a girl with no teeth. No teeth! She has them all pulled when she was 19 because some Amish do that. She wears dentures. I have a hard time looking away.
- If you are half Puerto Rican, adopted by Mennonites, leave the Mennonite fold and go to Queens to find your "roots", you will not only get the first job you apply for at a Puerto Rican restaurant, but your new boss with take you out, get you a make-over at a salon and buy you clothes.
- The Amish's idea of "English" aka "everyday" clothes consists solely of Ed Hardy attire.
- I watched this show for three hours. I still can't get over that.
Programming note - if you are around on Wednesday night and want to watch me give a ten minute educational lecture about why I love romance novels, this is the place for you. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to scrub my eyeballs from watching all that Amish breaking.