Tempy

A day by day and often hourly account of a temp

Thursday, October 22, 2009

Let's Go Yankees

OK, so I'm a Yankees fan. It's not a confession, it's a fact. I was born and raised in the Bronx so have no choice. I mean I do, but not really. When I was 16 and wore baggy jeans, tight tank tops, hoop earrings and red lipstick, that was also a choice, albeit not a good one. But being a Yankees fan is forever.

Now I don't normally crow about my team for several reasons. A., it's just a game. B., I know they have a lot of money and can afford great players. And C., I'm not one to get all up in someone's face, even jokingly, about a team. I once saw a guy on the train flip a Red Sox cap off a woman's face, and yell at her. Ugh...

But what really annoys me are those Mets fans that take it all seriously. Really?

Listen, I grew up watching the Mets, too. They're cute. They're the underdog, and nothing beat that Fall night in '86 when they took the World Series against the Red Sox. I'll never forget all the songs on the radio station z100, "We got the right jocks... to beat the Red Sox, Let's Go... Let's Go Mets!" I've been to Shea a ton of times. And if you're from Queens, I totally understand the appeal.

But the thing is, all the die hard "Mets Fans" I know aren't even from New York. Posers. It's the equivalent of moving to New York, setting up shop on Lorimer Street in Williamsburg and calling yourself a true New Yorker.

I have Mets fans friends who are totally cool, and get the "joke rivalry", but when you see people in New York actually hoping for failure for New York in the series, then just go home and have a session with the Shake Weight (see below).

A friend of mine told me he was at a bar that was a "Mets Bar" and the Yanks playoff game was on and everyone was booing at the Yanks. Really? $10 all those fools were NY transplants.

So the moral of the story is this- I am a Yanks fan, but support the Mets when they need it. It's just the right thing to do. And if you disagree with me I f@#king hate you.


8 Comments:

At 2:13 PM, Blogger Figgsrock2 said...

I must say that except you, almost every Yankee fan I know is a transplant. And most of them are people who arrived from 1995 on. All the people I know that are Brooklyn born and bred (save one) are Mets fans.

My Yankee hatred was handed down by my National League grandparents. I think the only time I didn't hate them is when they won in 1996--I just wanted to see what the town was like when a sports team won. Otherwise, its been a hatred, simple and pure.

 
At 2:20 PM, Blogger Tempy said...

Yes, but as a transplant you know transplants. All my friends/neighbors from NY are Yanks fans.

And I can say that this brief friendship may have run its course. Have a great time on Saturday at the lanes without me. Oh, happy birthday.

 
At 3:01 PM, Blogger Jonah said...

so here's my theory, as a transplanted mets fan and yankee hater.

being from oakland, i am an a's fan. after a childhood with a world series win, i've suffered for a long time through the rough years only a small market team can suffer, and watched the yankees beat oakland again and again and again.

i think it is the nature of transplants to hate the yankees, since they tend to beat teams from elsewhere. choosing the mets was only natural.

 
At 3:13 PM, Blogger Tempy said...

Yeah, that makes sense. But you know, if you can't beat 'em...

 
At 4:40 PM, Blogger Jonah said...

then continue hating them?

 
At 4:45 PM, Blogger Tempy said...

Hhaha. See you soon.

 
At 12:13 AM, Blogger Figgsrock2 said...

I think you misunderstood my comment--I know A LOT of native Brooklynites (it goes back 13 years now to my days in the Slope) and the are all Mets fans. Perhaps it's more of a Bronx/Brooklyn thing? Then again, all the Jersey natives I know are mostly Yankee fans, the Long Island natives are Mets fans.

And really, I knew many transplanets who were Yankee fans until I started hanging at the Field.

Oh, and Bronx natives are not welcome at my party.

 
At 9:29 AM, Blogger Tempy said...

I'm not a Bronx NATIVE I was born in Hawaii in the same hospital as Obama- we've been through this before.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blog Directory - Blogged