Tempy

A day by day and often hourly account of a temp

Friday, January 11, 2008

Beautiful Mount Airy Lodge

If you're a native New Yorker, there are a few commercials you grew up with that no one else can really understand, like, "The Money Store", "The Westchester County Fair" and everyone's favorite, "The Beautiful Mount Airy Lodge". But what I didn't know is that the infamous lodge, closed down due to poor conditions, was also a den of upper-middle class white people debauchery. From the New York Times:

"Mount Airy Lodge, the all-inclusive, star-studded resort where countless couples found passion in a heart-shaped tub, shut its doors this week... its longtime owner, Emil Wagner, killed himself rather than see it sold at a sheriff's auction... 'The food was lousy, but it was a legalized orgy,'' said Mickey Freeman... plenty of New Yorkers can still sing the tag line to Mount Airy's once-ubiquitous television jingle... 'All you need to bring is your love for everything... beautiful Mount Airy Lodge.'''


6 Comments:

At 10:25 AM, Blogger patient boy said...

Legalized orgy? I didn't realize they were ever illegal.

The Money Store was in other parts of the country too. We even had the commercials growing up, I just didn't know who the hell Phil Rizzuto was. Honestly, I didn't even know he was a baseball player until the last couple of years -- growing up I just figured he was the Money Store CEO or something.

 
At 11:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

awesome. its weird how commercials become part of the fabric of your brain. Here's an oldie from the west coast.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4677845236136580809&q=cal+worthington&total=41&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0

 
At 11:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Um, in college my friend set me up with her friend's frat brother and the four of us went to a U Penn fraternity dance at Mount Airy Lodge. For real. One of my date's dredlocks ended up stuck in my hair while we were dancing, and I ended up getting together with my friend's date (they were just friends), and he ended up coming out of the closet a year later. Damn that Mount Airy Lodge....

 
At 11:46 AM, Blogger Tempy said...

Wow. Anyone else feel slightly dirty from that story?

 
At 2:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Imagine how I felt with a piece of someone else's dred in my hair...

 
At 3:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does anyone remember Garden State Brickface and Stucco?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blog Directory - Blogged