Tempy

A day by day and often hourly account of a temp

Wednesday, April 11, 2007

John McCain. Racist.

What with all the talk in the media about people making racist remarks, (guess what- it's been going on for a long time), the media's latest coverage about John McCain has hit an all time low. I was reading on my friend's blog that McCain recently referred to something as a "tar baby" situation. For those of you who had disturbing stories read to them as a child, it's a reference to the tale of Brer Rabbit. See, according to the story, Brer Fox and Brer Bear dress up a doll out of tar and turpentine and set it up where Brer Rabbit will see it. I forget if it's a joke or a trap but regardless, Brer Rabbit walks by and said hi to the doll. Of course the doll didn't say hi back. It pissed off Brer Rabbit and long story short, Brer Rabbit gave it a hug and he got all tangled in the tar. Hence the phrase, "hugging the tar baby".

Now this is where things get sticky (get it)? Somewhere along the way the term "tar baby" got associated with negative racial connotations, so whenever someone references it as McCain did, people get their undies in a bundle. But what I find ironic is that everyone forgets John McCain adopted a baby from Bangladesh whom political rivals have affectionately referred to as his "illegitimate black child". I just don't know what's worse, that, or the fact that people are now insinuating that he's a big fat racist. I mean, I'm not saying he's not. Maybe he hates his daughter.

I have a headache. I need a Peppermint Patty.

6 Comments:

At 12:07 PM, Blogger patient boy said...

I had the book with that drawing as a kid. I think that Disney put it out in a series of books that included a 45 record with the story being read aloud.

 
At 12:13 PM, Blogger patient boy said...

...although that's also a still shot from "Song of the South", isn't it?

 
At 12:36 PM, Blogger Tempy said...

"Song of the South" is based on the story of Brer Rabbit. They have a mildly amusing log flume ride dedicated to the story now at Disney World.

I so had all those books...

 
At 12:37 PM, Blogger patient boy said...

If I remember correctly, the film is sort of an anthology of various Uncle Remus stories, right?

 
At 12:48 PM, Blogger Tempy said...

Yes. There was also a character named Aunt Tempy.

 
At 9:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great work.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blog Directory - Blogged