Tempy

A day by day and often hourly account of a temp

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

YOU'RE A C Natural

Zzzzzzzzzzzzz here's the thing about "Living The Dream" and "Working At Something Else Full Time". These past two weeks have been incredible- I started rehearsals for a show opening in June that I love, and I was asked to be a part of an amazing team of actors, writers and composers to record a demo of a new musical which is actually a really good show. But there's the sleep thing. The fact that I threw in an all-day birthday party somewhere in there this week didn't help. I love the creative stuff but I'm just really exhausted. I can't complain- work is work, especially the fun stuff, but whoo, I could pass out right now (spoiler alert: I may).

Funny story about last night's recording session- I have studied music and piano and am familiar with basic site reading, but in this room I was WAY out of my league. I just pretended like I knew what they were talking about most of the time. I made it very clear to the guy that cast me that I'm not very experienced in the technical aspect of musical theater and he didn't care and truth be told, I held my own. But here is a conversation I had with the pianist later in the evening. I just think it's so cute, and really flattering, that he thought I'd understand this:

Him: See the part where the B flat turns into a C nautral?

Me: (pretending like I was distracted) Hmmm?

Him: Before the measure with the staccato. There- after the triad... right there...the B flat. We need to change that to an A minor.

Me: Right. So that would be... (just give me the line).

Him: Page 7.

Me: Uh huh. Ah... uh, here?

Him: No, no, see it's in the dominant scale.

Me: Sure.

Him: So... can you try that?

Me: So it's this line?

Him: Ah... I'm sorry, maybe I'm wrong...

Me: No, no, I'm sure you're perfectly right.

The guy was so nice and patient with me, so it all worked out. But now I'm starting to think I need to go back and look at all my notes from music class. From 20 years ago.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blog Directory - Blogged