Tempy

A day by day and often hourly account of a temp

Friday, September 11, 2009

Doggone It

Since today is also a National Day of Service, I looked into what it would take to make my dog a certified Animal Assisted Therapy Dog. It's when you and your dog go to visit hospitals, nursing homes, classrooms, libraries and other facilities, preferably in my case places where there's no food, because my dog will rip your face off for a burger.

My goal is twofold: First, it would feel really good, and people just love my dog. He's a snuggler, is great with kids and if you can get past the bad breath, really fun to hang out with. It's a perfect match. It's only fitting that as this is also a day of remembrance of 9/11, it is also the anniversary of the first time my dog unintentionally became a therapy dog. You see, the night of the attacks, we went to this local bar that allowed dogs. The place was packed but silent. Everyone was just watching TV. My dog Jesse got bored standing around so he started to do what he does best- work the crowd. He walked right up to some girl standing there watching the screen, her face just blank. He looked up at her, rubbed his head on her leg, and slowly she melted from her trance. She bent down and began to pet him, and then get closer, until she was almost kneeling down, alternating between grasping him close and looking at the TV. That went on for almost half an hour. And my dog sat, very patient, and let her just hold him and squeeze him. It's like he knew she needed it. Plus he was getting attention. Perfect fit, eh?

Second, a little damn training refresher course might smack the asshole right out of him when it comes to food.

So I'm looking into some programs. He might be too old, fail the course and or just not be a good match. But who knows- later in the year I'd like to try it anyway. Then I saw this:



"Dogs must have knowledge of basic skills". Hmmm. Do they mean tricks or general manners?

2 Comments:

At 9:40 PM, Blogger Raymi Lauren said...

that is such a touching story. i have ptsd from nineeleven and it's rendered me fucked forever, had to bail on plans tonite. also last year too. WICKED!

 
At 9:32 AM, Blogger Tempy said...

Yeah, I remember you were there. This year was tough for some reason. So glad yesterday is over.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blog Directory - Blogged