Tempy

A day by day and often hourly account of a temp

Friday, September 11, 2009

But Seriously, Folks

Well this morning the first thing I saw on the TV was the first thing I saw on the TV 8 years ago. You see, in New York, no one ever shows the 9/11 footage of the buildings and the planes and whatnot until it's the anniversary. Then, like a 16 year old Amish teen at the start of the traditional year long freedom to explore the outside world, (otherwise known as known as rumspringa), the TV stations go hog wild. They show graphic tape, photos, documentaries and my favorite, "9/11: As It Happened" which is basically just the exact same footage from start to finish of the Today Show, which, I might add, is playing in the conference room right now. As a historical exploration, it's interesting to see how Couric and Lauer reacted to the planes: "Maybe it was an accident", "Maybe air traffic control is having problems", until it becomes apparent that the US is under attack and the fit hits the shan.

I'm mostly ambivalent to this day, mostly because, 8 years later, I still haven't quite processed it. And as we all know, this stuff happens all over the world, albeit not necessarily so grand in scale. Still, violent acts like this are devastating nonetheless, and it's not like these tragedies are in the past as they happen on an almost daily basis.

I don't have a point to this post except to say, yeah that was pretty messed up. And I detest it when people use it to politicize an agenda, or say things like "Big cities aren't the 'real America'" or whatnot. But hey, it's a free country, and I'm glad I'm here and in New York.

Oh, and I have one more 9/11 Day wish other than world peace- can we please never ever play that Ryan Adams song, "I love you New York" ever ever ever again? Thanks.

3 Comments:

At 9:42 PM, Blogger Raymi Lauren said...

did we trade 911 stories before?

 
At 9:34 AM, Blogger Tempy said...

Yeah. I read your post from that day a while back. Funny to think you were just a mile away from me.

 
At 7:57 PM, Blogger Raymi Lauren said...

bad memory whoops yeah we coulda been bender buddies!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blog Directory - Blogged