Tempy

A day by day and often hourly account of a temp

Monday, December 22, 2008

Bribe Back

This article was sent to me recently- it's about the concept of bartender/patron loyalty, ethics, and the secret world of buybacks.

It is often noted by many bartenders that, "You never get a free drink if you ask for it," which is one of the reasons the buyback is so special. Although there is a difference between the truly earned buybacks and the ones where the bartender just wants you to stay and hang out. I call these the bribe-backs.

Buybacks are common bar policy. They are a way to get a patron to stay for more rounds than intended, therefore increasing the chance they'll have another, and it is also a good opening for increased tips for the hardworking bartender. Buybacks traditionally happen after the 3rd drink because it is a little known fact that most people consume only 3 drinks per bar stay. Ply them with a 4th and they feel obligated to stay for a 5th. That's when the fun begins.

Bribe-backs are a whole different animal. They happen when the bartender has decided that you are their new best friend for the night. Let's face it- shifts are long and good conversation is scarce as most people who come to bars are weird and depressing. Have you ever sat down at a bar for the first time, only to find that you and the bartender are laughing at something and the next thing you know you've only paid for one drink all night? That's the bribe-back: please stay. I like you and you are fun and I have access to free liquor.

I had the most incredible group of regulars at my bar and in all honesty they did really pay for a lot of their drinks, but they were privy to the first drink on us, heck maybe even the third and fifth and oh and look, here's a shot. Most of this crew were great tippers but that's not why we took such good care of them. It was because they really made the bar. They brought their friends who brought their friends. They made the environment fun and they all hung out at the corner by the front window making the bar look full to curious passers-by. And the friendships that were forged as a result were a beautiful thing.

I quit bartending a couple of years ago but the fact that I am still good friends with most of these people I met says a lot. Heck, I don't even hang out at that bar which makes the time we make to spend with each other that much more valuable. We'll meet for have dinner together, go to movies, brunch, shows, even rent cabins for a weekend.

Most of the people still go to my bar- I don't because geographically it's just too challenging and the scene has changed to make way for a new generation. But for me, bribe-backs were just a way of saying, "I like you. I really like you. And if I ever quit this job I really really still want to hang out with you." I am blessed to have had that time in my life. And while I may not still be friends with everyone from those days, coincidentally, one of few I'm not was a bad tipper anyway.

5 Comments:

At 12:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whoa, damn. Is she talking about me? I always thought I was a good tipper. Please, somone validate that I'm a good tipper.

 
At 12:57 PM, Blogger Tempy said...

Aw heck no! You are an excellent tipper. I'm not talking about any of you- just a few riff raff who I never liked anyway.

 
At 1:57 PM, Blogger Jonah said...

yes, tempy, yes! excellent recognition of the lasting power of buybacks.

i gave away so much to my patrons that a year after i stopped bartending, they threw a party to raise money so they could tip me!

at least i think that's what it was for.

 
At 2:17 PM, Blogger Tempy said...

No Jonah, that was one, giant, organized tip...

 
At 7:50 PM, Blogger Jay said...

You Tempy, are going to make me cry. The welling up of memories is almost too much.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blog Directory - Blogged