Tempy

A day by day and often hourly account of a temp

Thursday, February 07, 2008

Party Planning

So the bar I used to work at is turning 10 this year (yikes!) and I am the official co-party planner. My main job is to get all the old bartenders that have ever worked there to show up, and luckily it's been easy. But I had trouble tracking down one of my favorites- this Irish guy who I used to work Fridays with. He's the kind of guy who would delegate bullshit tasks to me like, "Can you count the ice cubes for me," or he'd ask me to tie his shoelaces for him when he was making a tough order and I'd kneel down only to find he was joking.

One time, we made a bet about something, and the loser had to buy the winner a shirt. But the winner had to agree to wear the shirt on their shift the next week. So I lost and had to get a special shirt made. But of what? Well, a year prior, we had a Tiki themed party and the owner built a Tiki Hut above the bar. Then he forgot to remove it, so for a year all we heard from customers was, "What's up with the Tiki Hut?" Needless to say it was soooooooooo annoying.

So the next week when it was my job to bring in the shirt, I got one that said, "Ask Me About the Tiki Hut!" He had to wear it all night and it was awesome.

He got me back pretty bad when I had to clean up the bar on new year's day and he kept prank calling the bar, saying he left something from the night before. Examples:

"Hi. I lost a... a piece of confetti. It's green."

"Hello. I lost my metrocard. It's yellow and brown."

"Have you found my drink?"

Anyway, I haven't seen him in two years. I just spoke to him and the first words out of his mouth are, "No matter what you say, I am not working for you tonight."

3 Comments:

At 3:18 PM, Blogger dancing at gunpoint said...

I LOVE JAMES MARY MAY!!!!!! no seriously, i'm in love with him.

 
At 3:52 PM, Blogger bklynturtle said...

Get in line. Who's not in love with him?

 
At 11:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

his wife's not coming... right?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blog Directory - Blogged