Tempy

A day by day and often hourly account of a temp

Thursday, July 22, 2010

The Case For Bedbugs

I never ever thought in a million years that I would say this, but I think I'm learning to accept the fact that, as gross as they are, bedbugs have just become a part of New York life. Much like roaches, mice and mosquitoes, we live with insects every day. And yes, it's gross. They bite, but don't spread disease. Guess what do? Mosquitoes. And again, like roaches, they are absolutely disgusting. But when we see a roach, even though we kill it then call the exterminator, there's this universal accepting shrug among us like, eh, it's New York.

Don't get me wrong- bedbugs replicate rapidly, the live in your floor and (ew) your bed, and they are ugly. But with the latest infestations in New York happening on an almost a daily basis, closing down major stores like Hollister, Abercrombie and Fitch and Victoria's Secret, and some offices like Goldman Sachs and Hachette, I can't help but think, heck... it's almost impossible to avoid it.

I have had many friends who have had them, and they've spent a lot of time and money getting rid of them. But they are almost impossible to get rid of. The average bedbug can survive without eating for a year. This is so they can be skinny enough to get into hard to reach places, and attract a mate with their heroin chic flair. But when they do surface, and they will, they take a few bites out of you. And that's about it.

I would never ever ever in my life ever want a bug of any kind in my bed. I would never wish bedbugs on my worst enemy. But I guess what I'm saying is if you can't beat 'em, don't stress too much over getting them. You may and you may not. Bit you probably will. And that's okay.

Just please don't invite me over.

1 Comments:

At 11:05 PM, Blogger Sweden said...

yeah i read about that, gross dude i dont care how NYC it is, gross, i almost moved out or killed myself when my apt got roaches

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blog Directory - Blogged