Tempy

A day by day and often hourly account of a temp

Friday, September 18, 2009

Ugh Gross Alert

My co-worker told me a story yesterday about a female friend who was very disturbed when a male friend of hers expressed really strong feelings for her the other night, even though she has a boyfriend. He spoke about his "love" even though the feelings were clearly not mutual. Oh, and he was drunk too at the time of the confession, so who knows if it was a game time decision, or like, a long time thought.

What do you do when that happens? What if it's "true love" and he's just taking a chance? My theory: people who disregard feelings for anyone but themselves are generally thoughtless assholes. I mean, really. Romantic comedies aside, there are just some things that aren't okay. I realize I may sound old fashioned but I told her there is still a place as evolved humans where basic respect is important.

Quick story- when I was bartending, I met quite a few letharios and to be honest, bar regulars are very incestuous. I know a guy who, no joke, actually had sex with almost every female regular and some bartenders there. I say almost because he couldn't have me (I have some taste). Oh, he tried. When I was having problems with my now ex-boyfriend (who is still a great friend and I have a lot of love and respect for), he actually put the sad, predictable moves on me: "I know this may sound wrong, but I've always had feelings for you..." Blah blah barf. I like to think of that laziness as the equivalent of picking up table scraps. And Bros before Hos - isn't that the way its supposed to be? Not cool.

Most people really aren't like that guy. Yeah, yeah- we've all seen Mad Men, and know that this does happen. Some women fall for it and chances are the same guy has done it before but in reality, the fact that it is commonplace for some does not make it acceptable. I have to say, I'm glad the women I surround myself with would never go there in the reverse situation. And that's what we call Hos before Bros. And that is also the name of my new imaginary band.

1 Comments:

At 11:15 PM, Blogger Raymi Lauren said...

drunk brave confession, probably a long time thought albeit inappropriate and at base fully selfish if nothing can be done about it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blog Directory - Blogged