Tempy

A day by day and often hourly account of a temp

Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Purify This

As you all know, I'm kind of a lefty. I think the republican party has strayed from being fiscally conservative while believing government should stay out of people's lives, to being a fiscally irresponsible christian right-wing tyrannical militia. I'm not a fan. And what annoys me are these "purity rings" that these Jonas Brothers wear. I don't care that people want to stay virgins 'till marriage but I am perturbed when it is taught as the only form of birth control. And what's worse is the government has donated our tax dollars heavily to this organization called the Silver Ring Thing. They have workshops, seminars and crazy rock concerts to teach the beauty of abstinence. And yet masturbation is looked down upon. I don't get it. Also their website is "geared toward the youth" by utilizing weird outdated graffiti graphics.

But the most disturbing thing is that a purity ring costs $28. What? There's a part on the website that's all, "Lose your ring? Don't flip out! Just send $28 to..." etc.

Now I'm not a journalist but I play one on my blog so I went ahead and did some research. I emailed "Judy" from the Silver Ring Thing and asked her that if I did not have enough money to replace my ring, would another cheaper store bought ring do? I will alert you as soon as she responds.

UPDATE

OK she got back to me. She's a nice lady- here's what she said:

"I’m sorry to hear you lost your ring. Unfortunately I can not send you a free one. Some Christian bookstores may carry a purity ring but it will not look like ours.

Maybe if you just be honest with your parents and tell them what happened they would be willing to get you another one – offer to do some extra chores around the house to pay for it or is your birthday coming up or maybe for Christmas?

Things happen sometimes but I think if you be honest and offer to help out extra they would be willing to help you out too.

Let me know what the outcome is.

Judy"

1 Comments:

At 2:15 PM, Blogger Jonah said...

are you busy on the 14th?

it's free.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blog Directory - Blogged