Tempy

A day by day and often hourly account of a temp

Friday, September 03, 2010

An Adventure

It's a 3 day weekend, there's no one in the office today, and I am getting nothing but personal work done - the way I like it.

So, I hate talking politics (not true), but this whole Sarah Palin Vanity Fair article is just a reminder that I need to get out more. As a New Yorker, I am constantly amazed that people in this country think so differently. Well, guess what... boy am I in for a wake up call! My friend who went away to a red state this week told me she's glad to be reminded of the other part of America. Not that we all aren't the same people, who live, eat, love our family and work hard. It's just done differently no matter where you go.

In a few weeks I'm going to Kentucky for a wedding, and I am excited to meet new people and experience the cultural differences, and eat pe-CAN pie, not the pie we eat here that is made out of PEE-cans.

But wait, hold the phone... I know a lot of tourists come to New York, but when was the last time a tourist said, "I want to get to know the real New York. Meet the people, spend some time in their culture." Not often, that's for sure. So as I go on my adventure, I urge someone from a place far away from New York to come with an open mind and experience what New Yorkers are all about. The small, tight knit neighborhoods, the families, the food. And yes, we're not all heathens, there are places of worship. (Unless you're Muslim, that's gross - kidding.) If you need a place to stay, you can crash at my pad. Just don't bring bed bugs. Oh, wait, that's right, you should worry about bringing them back from New York. On second thought, never mind - stay right where you are.

4 Comments:

At 12:49 PM, Blogger Reeny's Ramblin' said...

I LOVED NYC! It wasn't because of The Empire State Building nor Time Square, it was the people that made my experience what it was. Stayed in Chelsea, at The Chelsea and walked all over place, with minimal plan, just found interesting stuff along the way...

Are u accepting strange couch surfers that you don't know from Toronto as guests too? Jokes ;)

 
At 2:37 PM, Blogger Tempy said...

You can stay with me anytime!

 
At 3:08 PM, Blogger Reeny's Ramblin' said...

Uhm, I hope you know I will totally take you up on that ;) I am also house broken so.....

 
At 11:43 PM, Blogger Sweden said...

lol

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blog Directory - Blogged