Tempy

A day by day and often hourly account of a temp

Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Those Who Can't Act, Do

So if you haven't heard, it's Tempy's Media Blitz Tour 2009 - getting out there meeting with casting directors and agents. It's such a fascinating world. I've never speed dated but I'm told it's a lot like that. You meet a lot of people who may or may not be into you, and that's just life. But yesterday I had a very strange experience in the hallway of the place of one meeting. I ran into a casting agent I had met a while ago and we got to chatting. After about 15 minutes of really interesting conversation about actors and agents and people and the business he goes to me, "How do you do it?" I told him I really enjoyed doing what I do. Even auditions to me are fun. Then he just looks away and goes, "I used to be an actor. I just couldn't deal with it. It's so hard out there. I could never do it again."

Que? I mean, I know that they say, "Those who can't do, teach," and I've never necessarily agreed with that, but then I thought about some actors I've known who are now casting agents or associates and some of this is making sense to me. That is not to say that all agents are ex-actors, but apparently a lot of them are. The same goes for reviewers. Very interesting.

Moral of the story? If you used to be an actor and now you are a casting director, don't tell an actor that you used to be an actor especially if that actor also keeps a blog. But seriously, I have a lot of respect for this guy. To be fair, he is an excellent casting director.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blog Directory - Blogged