Tempy

A day by day and often hourly account of a temp

Friday, February 13, 2009

Saint Who

According to Wikipedia's definition of Valentine's Day: "In the West, it is the traditional day on which lovers express their love for each other by sending Valentine's cards, presenting flowers, or offering confectionery."

I love that, presenting flowers or offering confectionery, like this is a religious service as opposed to an incredibly marketable holiday. Shoot, I already sent my Valentine a dirty Ecard this week- keeping it classy ladies. But just who was St. Valentine, and why did he totally get that chicks love attention?

Again, according to Wikipedia, "Numerous early Christian martyrs were named Valentine. Until 1969, the Catholic Church formally recognized eleven Valentine's Days. The Valentines honored on February 14 are Valentine of Rome and Valentine of Terni. Valentine of Rome was a priest in Rome who suffered martyrdom about AD 269 and was buried on the Via Flaminia. His relics are at the Church of Saint Praxed in Rome."

Uh... what? That doesn't really explain why Valentine's Day is linked to cherubic babies with wings and arrows. I mean, since when has the Catholic church ever associated its members with underage boys, am I right? This is confusing.

Research later goes on to blame Chaucer and Shakespeare, but I think they get enough heat for a lot of things. No, I think we can all agree that Valentine's Day just sort of evolved from a bizarre religious event to where it is now: a day to drain the wallets of both couples and pissed off singles. Either way, Happy Valentine's Day everyone. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go shopping for my boss's kids, because nothing says love like the sweat and labor of your assistant.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blog Directory - Blogged